Important information on COVID-19 Preparedness & Policy
Health of our Team and our Clients is a top Priority
We each have a responsibility to do our part
The health and safety of every member of our team is our highest priority. In addition to our team here at Karl Chevrolet, health and safety extends to each of our immediate families, our friends, and our clients – essentially our companies’ entire sphere of influence. The current outbreak of the novel coronavirus known as COVID-19 has brought a new threat to our health and daily lives.
As such, we each have a responsibility to act in the best interests of all concerned. This includes some very basic things we can all build into our daily activities. Below are bullet points of the things that each of us can do individually, along with steps Karl Chevrolet is doing or will be doing. Perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT thing we can all do is to become familiar the FACTS ….. and that means not just keeping up with the latest media headlines, but rather taking the time to understand some of the background and science around why these actions are necessary and smart. Here are some useful links:
- CDC - Basic Tips to keep our workplace safe
- Center for Disease Control - Live Updates with the most official information
- Explaining the importance of National efforts to ‘Flatten the Curve’ - MSNBC Article and Video
To keep everyone informed, we will be providing regular updates on the rapidly evolving situation surrounding COVID-19.
Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 & Local Restrictions:
New cases are being identified daily and the list of affected countries globally is growing. Locally, we live in an area where many residents routinely travel for both work and pleasure. Because this virus has an incubation period of from 2 to 14 days, it has quietly spread into new areas. Late last week one case in Westchester County NY quickly grew into more than 50 in the span of just a few days. As of yesterday, we have our first confirmed case here in New Canaan. No one knows what the next days and weeks will show. As of today, New Canaan Public Schools are CLOSED, as is the local Library, YMCA and other public gathering spots.
In the coming days and weeks, we will all learn more. In the interim, we can all take steps to be smart and act in the best interests of ourselves, our families, friends and the general public.
What can you do?
- If you are sick – feel any flu like symptoms (fever, coughing, runny nose, etc) – please STAY HOME.
- Avoid personal contact – do NOT shake hands – use an elbow bump or other form of non-contact greeting. This can be a hard habit to break but is a HUGE help in containing spread.
- Wash your hands regularly ….. This short article from Smithsonian may help you understand Why Is Washing Your Hands So Important Anyway?
- As always, our primary concern is the health and welfare of Karl Chevrolet team members. Please become familiar with ways to prevent the spread of germs and the coronavirus.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest information through the Center for Disease Control - Live Updates with the most official information
- Training – if you have any GM training scheduled, consider completing the online portion at home whenever possible. This simply lessons the number of hours you are physically here. Let your manager know and you will be paid.
- Please share your ideas – is there more we can collectively do to improve our overall health and safety efforts? Speak to your manager and voice your ideas – or send them an email.
What is Karl Chevrolet is doing?
- We have ramped up our cleaning service and sanitation protocols.
- We have a supply of anti-bacterial wipes available.
- We are installing dispensers for Hand Sanitizer for use by employees and clients.
- We have ordered steering wheel covers to be used on all vehicles in for service - until the covers arrive, all employees to use fresh gloves when moving a customer’s vehicle.
- We are asking that our technicians use fresh gloves for each vehicle they work on.
- Health and safety goes both ways – we want to protect our team members AND our clients
- Time Off Policy
- Regular company policy applies
- If you need to stay home for any reason (self-directed not feeling well, selfquarantined due to possible exposure to the COVID-19 virus, lack of caregiver for kids home from school, etc), we will apply any unused personal days followed by any unused vacation time, followed by unpaid leave.
- Overtime Policy
- With the understanding that this virus will be disruptive to business and our everyday life in the near-term, we are temporarily halting overtime until further notice.
- Our Service and Parts Departments will temporarily be CLOSED on Saturdays
- If your typical work schedule has required you to work more than 40 hours per week, we are asking that you work with your manager to modify your schedule and limit it to 40 hours.
- Working Remotely
- The reality is that most of our work requires staff to be physically here at the dealership
- The exception is our sales efforts, much of which can happen remotely.
- We will work with our sales team on a case-by-case basis to determine if a remote work schedule is practical.
- Pickup and Delivery
- For any customers who do not feel comfortable coming into our business, we should expand our offering of pickup and delivery service.
- Rather than putting customers at potential risk by having them congregate while waiting, consider offering pickup and delivery to typical wait customers or at least spread out wait times so no more than a couple are here at any given time.
- Depending on the duration of the COVID-19 virus disruption, management reserves the right to review and revise these polices
- Our goal is to keep everyone safe and healthy and to ensure the continued viability of our business for all concerned.
Our clients have entrusted us with their automotive needs for decades, and it is during times like these that we really help cement that trust. As challenging as this crisis is becoming, we can seize this time to simply demonstrate that we care. People will notice.
These are unprecedented times. As always, we appreciate everyone’s commitment to Karl Chevrolet and our clients, and we appreciate the efforts you will make to follow these guidelines.